The pictorial history of Brooklyn; issued by the Brooklyn Daily Eagle on its seventy-fifth anniversary, October 26, 1916 by Martin Henry Weyrauch

Page Updated:
Book Views: 13

Martin Henry Weyrauch
Date of release


The pictorial history of Brooklyn; issued by the Brooklyn Daily Eagle on its seventy-fifth anniversary, October 26, 1916

Find and Download Book

Click one of share button to proceed download:
Choose server for download:
Get It!
File size:13 mb
Estimated time:4 min
If not downloading or you getting an error:
  • Try another server.
  • Try to reload page — press F5 on keyboard.
  • Clear browser cache.
  • Clear browser cookies.
  • Try other browser.
  • If you still getting an error — please contact us and we will fix this error ASAP.
Sorry for inconvenience!
For authors or copyright holders
Amazon Affiliate

Go to Removal form

Leave a comment

Book review

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1916 Excerpt: ...courts and the Brooklyn main post-office. 16. Sheep on the meadow in Prospect Park. 17. Wallabout Market, exchange headquarters between Long Island farmers and Brooklyn provision dealers. 18. A section of Brooklyn's waterfront at Erie Basin. bought from the Indians "the westernmost of three flats called by the sellers Kaskutenu." The two other flats, which had been theretofore used for farming purposes in a small way by the savages, were secured in the name of Governor Wouter Van Twiller and Jacobus Van Corlaer. One of the original purchasers, Andres Hudden, apparently did not favor his purchase greatly, for there is a record of a transfer of his rights soon after to his co-buyer, Van Couwenhoven. Other settlers moved in, so that by 1651 a village was formed. As was usual in those days, part of the land was set aside for a common pasturage. The Dutch governors were attracted by the possibilities of the section, low-lying and fertile, so much like their native lands, and upon his assumption of the reins of government Peter Stuyvesant acquired in his own name title to a large section of country. This farm was worked for the Governor by Peter Wyckoff. Stories of the enormous crops raised out of the abundance of the practically virgin soil attracted other settlers, and by 1654 the little community boasted of a Dutch church organization, the first building for religious purposes being erected in 1663, when the congregation had reached such a size as to render meetings in the farmhouses impracticable. Though originally governed directly from the Governor's headquarters in New Amsterdam, local administration was granted to Flatlands in 1661. The charter provided for the election of three magistrates, who had power to enforce all local ordinances. The ori...

Readers reviews